Director of Operations | Job Description
At SunWellness companies, our strength is the care with which we deliver world-class services and support to those we serve. We’re proud to set the standard for quality experiences in our industry. To help us continue our growth, we are seeking an experienced Director of Operations to join our team.
As an ideal candidate, you have proven senior management experience and apply both right and left brain skill sets to support our highly creative atmosphere. Your organizational, relational, communication, and leadership skills are second to none, and you enjoy employing curiosity, collaboration, and an open mind to create solutions that push innovative boundaries.
You’ll effectively work with and manage a staff of diverse talents in an innovative multidisciplinary day spa and retreat center featuring wholistic wellness, yoga, events, workshops, and healing modalities. You’ll work closely with the CEO to implement long-term plans that usher in new levels of profitability and guest experience at SunWellness companies – SunMountain Retreat Center and SunWater Spa.
SunMountain Center is a historic landmark retreat center with a focus on health and wellness lifestyles. We are located at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Manitou Springs, Colorado. SunMountain is part of a larger brand experience including a wellness spa, event company, international retreats, and online education platform.
SunWater Spa is a unique and modern soaking pool facility, with a focus on the healing arts, mineral water therapies, spirituality and local history in Manitou Springs, CO. Nestled in the beautiful Rocky Mountains at the base of Pikes Peak, the 6,000 sq ft day spa with a 3,000 sq ft spa services center promotes a creative sanctuary for wellness.
At the end of your first year, success would mean:
- Lead a team of 8-10 direct reports ensuring they meet goals and performance metrics.
- Increase revenue by 15-20%, improve customer satisfaction and achieve online review rating of 4.8 stars or above.
- Continue to improve team health as measured with the Team Health Assessment in the areas of Building Trust, Mastering Conflict, Achieving Commitment, Embracing Accountability, and Focusing on Results by achieving a score of Medium/High to High in all areas.
- Collaborate with and report to executive-level management to implement strategic plans, projects, performance goals, and long-term operational plans for entire Sun Wellness organization including Sunwater Spa, Sun Mountain Retreat Center, along with Marketing and Media.
- Identify strategies to ensure growth of services enterprise-wide, implementing process improvements that will maximize revenue and minimize costs
- Maximize efficiency and productivity through interdepartmental collaboration
- Analyze current operational processes and performance, recommending solutions for improvement when necessary
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems and processes that provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles to key initiatives
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for day-to-day performance of the operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks
- Direct and support 8+ mid-level managers to successfully execute day-to-day operations, lead meetings, communicate with clarity, maintain accountability, write and execute protocols, and manage schedules
- Work closely with human resources to hire managers, assist managers to hire staff, lead team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, accountable, and productive environment
- Prioritize guest experience by boosting customer satisfaction, working with managers to continuously improve customer service and resolving all guest complaints or issues in a timely manner.
- Oversee all customer facing areas of the spa and retreat center, including its services, events, facilities, products, and staff
- Conceptualize, design, and develop the retreat center experience in alignment with vision
- Work alongside Sales/Marketing Director on necessary campaigns, digital and print media and social media
- Oversee retreat schedule with on-site operations team
- Manage common ground ideas between SunWater Spa and SunMountain retreat center
- Lead and/or participate in leadership and staff training and represent the spa and retreat center off-site at festivals and retreats
- Continue to develop, improve, and uphold employee & guest protocols, policies, procedures, manuals, and programming in collaboration with human resources and department managers as well as implement company risk management, loss prevention, and safety protocols
- Uphold organization policies and standards, ensuring legislative regulations are followed and necessary permits and licenses are obtained
- Other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with CEO and Accounting Manager to determine departmental budget needs for SunMountain and SunWater
- Work with CEO and Accounting Manager as oversight of expenditures
- Provide guest reports and appropriate analytics for marketing and media
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related fields
- Experience in management of guest services and customer relations
- Familiar with and involved in the yoga and wholistic wellness lifestyle communities
- Experience in leading healthy teams as well as value collective team effort, are a team player, and demonstrates humility and emotional intelligence
- Enjoy working with people and possess a friendly, positive, warm and outgoing personality
- Show initiative and are proactive rather than reactive as well as able to make decisions day-to-day without direction from executives
- Masterful organizational and leadership skills, as well as excellent communication skills (listening, oral, written) and technical and computer skills.
- Able to work efficiently, be productive in a fast-paced environment, streamline and implement new structures and roles that create speed, efficiency, and support rapidly shifting business demands
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, production, and employee management
- Have a strong working knowledge of industry regulations and legislative guidelines
- Understand what it takes to create psychological safety, remove unconscious bias, and cultivate a curiosity mindset in the workplace, as evidenced by prior work experiences
- Embrace team building, goal setting, accountability, polarity thinking, healthy relationships, and both individual and group psychology to ground spirituality to create connection with employees, customers, and within teams
- Minimum of 4 years in the hotel, restaurant, and/or retreat industry preferred
- 2+ years senior leadership role as Director of Operations or General Manager or equivalent preferred
- Experience with budget and business plan development
- Proven ability to develop innovative solutions for increased productivity
- Superior negotiation skills in both internal and external settings
- Strong working knowledge of data analysis and performance metrics using business management software
- Experience with GlassFrog and/or Holacracy model and leading tactical meetings or similar model for leading effective, efficient meetings
- Proficiency with technology such as Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Basecamp, Mindbody Online preferred
- Lifting, pulling, and pushing up to 50 lbs (when necessary)
- Walking up and down stairs
Commensurate with experience and education and training
*Note: All duties and requirements stated above are essential job functions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the staff occupying this position. Staff members may be required to perform other job-related duties by their supervisor.